Monday, May 31, 2010

Medina Excursion

Today after tea I went back to the Medina with 3 other wonderful girls, Erin from New Orleans, Alex from Connecticut, and Kimberly from Austin. They're all really fun, sweet people so when I heard they were going I thought...should I stay in for the rest of the night or go venture out again. And of course, I decided to join them at the Medina. I was the only one that had been before so I was sort of the tour guide. Of course this isn't always the best idea, especially since I've only been here one day. So we got on the bus and I made us get off like 2 stops early and we walked an extra half mile but no biggie...they didn't complain.

So I took more pictures of the Medina and we wandered a bit off the main path which was really nice because it was nice and quiet as we walked through the narrow, deserted streets. The pictures of the water are outside the Medina where I took pictures yesterday, but again we did a bit more exploring. We walked along the water and boys were doing cannon balls of the deck, just having fun. We then ate at a restaurant on the water and we each got pizza only 5 dollars each and so big that we could only eat half. We of course couldn't resist getting some gelato and then hailed 2 cabs. You can only have 3 in a cab at most as they are teeny tiny....

Now I don't know if you know this but apparently Morocco/Rabat (I'm not sure which exactly) has the 2nd highest car accident rate in the world. Ha. No surprise. While there are lane lines on the roads there may as well not be as ALL of the drivers disregard them. It's similar to Italy. But our driver kind of crossed the line from "crazy cab driver" to a "this is how you're going to die death cab driver". (And I forgot to mention that there are no seatbelts in these cars....that's right no seatbelts in the death cabs). While approaching a long line of cars at a red light, he decided to switch lanes into the oncoming traffic and drive to the front of the line, which by the time he got there the light turned green. Erin and I were in the back holding on for dear life with our eyes closed in absolute disbelief/fear. Luckily, we made it home in one piece, not a scratch on the death cab.

Below are some pictures from this second excursion to the Medina :)









1 comment:

  1. The pictures are really good Hanna! Do you think you and others will sometime go on a ride in one of those boats you took a picture of? That would be fun! So glad you ventured out with some new friends this evening. And - so very glad you made it back safe and alive after riding in a cab with one of the "death cab drivers"! I will double my prayers for your safety now! Have a great Tuesday and can't wait to hear about the happenings of the day:) Love, Mommy

    ReplyDelete