Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Yasir & Ina

Today at work I volunteered in the larger play center in the hospital ward. I titled this post after the two children that most affected me today. While at times there were around 20 children in the center, I never felt overwhelmed. They were all so happy and it was such an amazing experience. These children were probably from about 2 to 6, so younger than yesterday I would say. The mothers watched from outside the play center and some came in and sat. One of the nurses offered to help teach me some Arabic when I told her how badly I wanted to learn. She was very sweet...all of the mothers and nurses were unbelievably welcoming and helpful in the ward.

Yasir was the cutest, sweetest little boy I may ever have seen. He looked to be about 5 and was always smiling and asking for attention. He spoke no English but I learned a couple words from him. I thought they were Arabic but it turns out they were French. Haha. We seesawed, rode rocking horses, and painted. I thought it was a good idea to let him paint my hand (with watercolors) and that turned out to maybe not be one of my better ideas. Soon all of the children wanted to paint me and I came home with a completely black hand and spotted arm. Yasir was a sweet, sweet boy and I hope to see him more over these next two weeks.

Ina (again these spellings are totally invented by me, this is pronounced eena) was a beautiful 4/5 year old girl. She spent a good hour doing my hair "putting make-up" on me. Every time I'd try to fix my bangs so I could see she would say "Safi, safi!" which means Stop, stop! She was constantly coming up behind me and wrapping her arms around my neck. All of the mothers would laugh and smile at me as this little diva did me up. Haha.

Another boy, probably about 3 was the MOST beautiful child I've seen, ever. Yasir was the cutest and sweetest but this little boy was just adorable. Curly hair and the widest grin. He repeated anything you said no matter the language. I would day What's up!?!? to him and he would say "Whassaa". So funny.

There were obviously numerous other children with wonderful personalities and cute smiles but these three really moved me. They were so happy despite the IV's in their hands wrapped in gauze and their current life in a hospital. If I could embrace each day with such optimism, that would be the best lesson learned on this trip. To accept your life as it is, make the most of each day, and love the people around you...what a blessing that would be.

I'm going to take some picture of lunch today so keep an eye out :)

No comments:

Post a Comment