Friday, May 21, 2010

One Week

I leave one week from today for Rabat and I have so much to do. I did get my typhoid vaccination today as well as some essentials (travel-size toothpaste, etc.) yet I'm not even close to prepared. My goal by next Friday is to be able to know key phrases in Arabic that I will need not only to get around the area but also when I'm working with the children. Wish me luck with that...

I did have a conference call yesterday with my fellow volunteers and the fabulous Sharon who works with CCS to prepare us volunteers for our arrival. It was very informative as she told us about our daily schedules, living situations, etc. I, and two others, will be leaving for the children's hospital around 9am and returning around 12pm. They will serve us lunch at the house and then provide cultural activities including: Arabic lessons, cooking lessons of Moroccan cuisine, and culture talks about the gender roles in Morocco, Islam, etc.

I was also fortunate enough to be able to hear from 8 of the other volunteers that will be Rabat with me. Everyone sounds friendly and eager to get there and get started. There will be 30 volunteers at the homestay including myself. There we will be put 3-5 in a bedroom, ladies upstairs (there are 24 of us girls) and men downstairs (only 6!).

On the weekends many volunteers take trips to the surrounding locations of Morocco. As I'll be there only one weekend, I want to make the most of it so I plan to take a trip out to the Sahara desert where we ride camels and sleep under the stars! What an experience. I was very excited to hear that many other volunteers plan to do the same trip so we can enter the unknown together. There will be a guide ofcourse and food provided, etc. No worries, I won't have to navigate the expansive Sahara. What a task that would be.

That's it for now. More updates will come before I leave!

1 comment:

  1. We are so excited for you Hanna! What a journey this will be for you and one you will remember forever. I truly believe God placed this to your eyes for a reason. Remember to write down each day what you experience and see. We can't wait to hear what this trip was like for you when you come back. We love you bunches Hannabelle! Love, Mommy and Daddy

    ReplyDelete