Sunday, May 16, 2010

International Voluneer

I am leaving for Morocco on May 28th for 2 weeks to volunteer. For those two weeks I will document my travels. I just received my assignment for my volunteer placement while in Rabat, Morocco. I'll be working in a Children's Hospital where I will be providing activities and distractions for the children (coloring, leading arts and crafts projects, and teaching Basic English words). I'm so excited to be able to use my creativity in a way that will benefit these children in need.

The program I am volunteering with, Cross-Cultural Solutions, has programs all over the world and they house and feed the volunteers in large homes where they also provide us with cooking lessons of the local cuisine, language lessons, culture talks, etc. It's a program that allows us not only to help the local people, but also to learn about their culture and lifestyle.

CCS has a relationship with an association called Association des Amis de l'Hopital des Enfants de Rabat, which was created by a group of Moroccan women to raise funds to provide moral and financial support to the families whose children are sick. Almost half of these children must stay in the hospital for more than 2 weeks and the mothers stay with their children. At times, the hospital has a shortage of medicine, and the association also provides funding for medical costs.

So, more details will come as my departure approaches and my volunteer experience begins.

1 comment:

  1. You and your group will be in our thoughts and prayers as you travel on your mission. We will be blessed by being able to follow on your blog!
    Nancy Evers
    Hermitage Presbyterian Church, Waynesboro, VA

    ReplyDelete