Friday, June 21, 2013

Nepal: Patan Excursion



On a miserably rainy day I attempted to find the bus station to take a bus to Patan. After wandering for about 45 minutes in pouring rain and finding no sign of the bus station, I gave up and tried to relax the rest of the day. I felt particularly homesick. I found a local yoga group that offers classes for tourists for about $6 and went that night. I met a sweet woman from New Zealand and felt so much better afterward. 

The next day I decided to forego the bus option and opted for a taxi to Patan (it is only about $3 one way). It was pouring rain, but Patan was BEAUTIFUL! It also has a Durbar Square filled with temples and the Patan Museum had some of the most amazing statues and sculptures from both the Hindu and Buddhist religions. 


Patan Durbar Square
Patan Durbar Square
Elephants at the entrance of a temple in Patan Durbar Square
Good luck mudra on a Buddha statue
Patan Durbar Square
Lion outside a temple in Patan Durbar Square 
Patan street
I then grabbed a taxi back to Thamel and had the best cab driver ever. Ever. He gave me a tour of Kathmandu as we drove to Thamel, when we got there I realized I only had big bills and he couldn't give me change so he let me find someone who could make change for me, and after I paid, he literally walked into the busy street to stop traffic so I could cross. Such a sweet man. There are people doing good EVERYWHERE. 

I ate dinner at the Northfield Cafe (which I recommend to those who visit Thamel), read my book (1984 by George Orwell) and enjoyed the evening. The restaurant has a band of Dalits (!) that perform every evening so I was able to here some local music. (Dalits are the untouchable caste of the Pokhara region, whom I will be working with and filming starting next week)

No comments:

Post a Comment