Monday, June 24, 2013

Nepal: Pashupatinath & Boudhanath


After an early morning yoga class and an early lunch I grabbed a taxi to Pashupatinath. I think it's safe to say it is the strangest, yet one of the most interesting, places I've ever visited. It is along the Bagmati River and has a Hindu temple. Along the river are platforms where cremations take place. You can see various streams of smoke rising from a distance, which are, in fact, burning bodies. There were 2 going on when I was there, I watched one but didn't take pictures out of respect for the families there who were cremating their deceased. Again, a strange experience. 




People sitting across the Bagmati watching a cremation
Smoke from a cremation


View of Pashupatinath 

Cow statue outside a temple 



The complex is large and as you wander up the stairs into the trees, you are surrounded by what I think are graves with monkeys wandering through the trees. Then it was a 45 minute walk to Boudhanath through the "suburbs" of Kathmandu. I loved walking through the quiet peaceful streets and seeing a quieter way of life. 

View of Kathmandu
Crossing the Bagmati River
Down by the Bagmati River





A schoolyard


Boudhanath was unbelievable. It is the largest stupa in Nepal if not all of Asia (can't remember). It is a pilgrimage sight for Buddhists all over the world. TIbetan monks live in a nearby monastery and were walking around the courtyard the whole time I was there. It was a circular complex with the stupa in the middle which you can climb and walk around,  a walking area around the stupa, and shops and restaurants wrapping around that. Really, really cool!










The professor I will be working with (Steve) arrived that evening with the students he had been leading for the past month. It was nice to finally have people contact and get a feel for what I will be doing over the next 5 weeks. 

No comments:

Post a Comment