Tuesday, November 2, 2010

PA = Panicked & Awkward

So, today was my first job as a PA (production assistant) on set of a movie, titled "Nutcracker", and while I wasn't quite "panicked and awkward", I was pretty darn close. Maybe it's just the nature of the industry, but they literally threw me right into it today, despite my inexperience. I was handed this walkie-talkie type contraption and they started using all their "movie-lingo" on me. Seeing as I felt like I was intruding on some super-secret club I quite literally wanted to throw the "walkie" in their face and run for the hills.

I assure you, I did not. Instead, I stood behind cameras as an on-set PA, looking wide-eyed and lost I'm sure, but soaking in everything. I also managed to lose an actor and then announced to everyone via "walkie" that I had done so, rather than switch to their super-secret channel so only the correct ears would hear of my debacle. On the bright side, rather than getting scolded for doing so, I was simply told what to do next time, and then informed that everyone enjoyed a big laugh. What can you do...it wouldn't be a good first day for me if I didn't manage to make a fool of myself in some form.

I laughed it off and, in the end had a good day. At the very least, I did something new today.

No comments:

Post a Comment