Sunday, June 3, 2012

Day Two: Playing Catch Up

We arrive in Canakkale at 6am, but our hotel will not let us into our room until 10. 10! I cannot sleep sitting up on a bus unless I'm drugged. It has been 40 hours since I have slept. We are both slightly delirious. Kindly, the hotel desk clerk offers some coffee. We have breakfast in the hotel at 7 and we are let in our room at 9. We plan to sleep until 12:30pm so I set my alarm. We don't actually get up until 4 because I set it for 12:30am like a moron. As I said, we were delirious. But the rest is needed.


View from our hotel room

We wander around the small city of Canakkale, which is a cute little seaside town. It's your typical small, seaside European city. Calm, yet with plenty to do. 






We stop to eat dinner and share some wine by the water. Our waiter is patient with our poor attempts at speaking Turkish and this is when we fall in love with Ezine peynir. Head over heels in love....with sheep's cheese. Ezine is a region in Turkey that produces the most amazing cheese. The Turks, as we found, call it Feta cheese. They say "It's just Feta cheese". Of course, it's nothing like the Feta that we are used to. And thus the addiction begins.



Tomorrow we go to the ancient city of Troy!



No comments:

Post a Comment